December 06, 2003
From the papers...1
Yesterday, there was a report on a man charged with cannibalism in Germany. It was reported that he sought his target from the internet by placing advertisement for anyone who is willing to be eaten. He received more replies than I thought. And the '(un)lucky' one was then selected and had his wish granted. That is, to be eaten alive.
The 'victim' even made arrangements on how he wanted to die so that his flesh could be consumed by, well, the cannibal (who, if you must know, sliced 30kg of his flesh and kept them in the freezer to eat over a period of time).
I was grossed out. Ugh! If you know of this Body World exhibition that is being held at Singapore Expo now till early next year, it would be quite logical to link the two events up somehow. Like what Desmond did. Ugh! I was totally grossed out.
But hey, the charge is, of course, cannibalistic act. But the defense is what I think is really what makes this case interesting. Defense: he was just helping a fellow human being fulfill his wish - to be eaten.
Now, as I was informed by the papers yesterday, Germany doesn't have law against cannibalism. So, the trial that will follow will really be open for the battle of wits between the prosecutors and the defense counsel.
Exciting?
Now, my thoughts on this is 'Well, what's wrong with helping someone fulfil his wish?' Yes, it's a bizarre wish, a death wish. But, still, a wish. Hence, perhaps, the 'victim' was not a victim after all. If that's what he desired to be done (to him), and he got his wish, shouldn't us all be happy for him? After all, how many wishes DO get fulfilled these days? Ya? And if you look at it from another point of view, the cannibal had the means and self-motivation to make another person's deathwish come true. Look, not many of us actually would get round to aiding another person in his wish even though the fulfilling of another's wish will also mean the fulfilling of our own.
Before you are double grossed out by how I seem to lack moral values and are potentially cannibalistic, lemme assure you that I'm still grossed out. Mind you, I do not favour acts of cannibalism. No, I don't.
But, look at the defense that's been put up. It's a good argument, don't you think? Really, what's wrong with helping someone fulfill his wish? Just cos his wish is an act not condonable by the society at large does not make it any less a wish. Besides, well, he found someone who is willing to do it for him and, here's the crux, knowing very well what he'd gotten himself into.
There's a chinese saying, Jiang1 tai4 gong1 diao4 yu2, for which the lower verse will be yi4 ge4 yuan4 da3 yi4 ge4 yuan4 ai2. Meaning, well, it takes (took) two hands to clap. In this case, both voluntary and conscious decisions to clap.
I'm totally grossed out by the act, that's for sure. But I'm for the acquittal of this man.
Differing opinions, anyone? Email me. *wink
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 13:42